Saturday, September 20, 2008

To eat wheat or not, that is the question.


So I had some fun at the Doctors office this week. It started last week when I went into my chemo doctor for a normal check-up. They took my blood, as usual, but discovered that I had a really really low red blood cell count. They also said that my ovarian cancer tumor marker level had raised a fairly significant amount. So on Wednesday I had to get an IV iron infusion. I have had it before and it isn't all that bad, just make me tired. Then the Doctor wanted me to have an endoscopy (a camera down my throat and into my stomach to look around). He thought I might be bleeding internally. Well, they didn't find me bleeding inside or anything. They said they think I have Celiac disease. Which more or less means that they think I am allergic to wheat/anything containing glutin. Which didn't seem so bad until I started to read about how many things I would have to omit from my diet. Just muffins, bread, cake, rolls, bagels, pancakes, cookies, gravey, lunch meats, some lipsticks and tooth pastes even play dough. Okay so I am not wanting to eat the play dough but I apparently shouldn't handle it. I am still holdin out hope that the test will come back negative for this celiac disease. But if it turns out I do have it, my parents have been nice enough to find things I can get that are glutin free, including some muffins and waffles and bread. So we'll have to wait and see I guess.

1 comment:

Jared and Laura said...

I had no idea about lipstick and toothpaste containing wheat/gluten...interesting. Hope the tests are negative, we'll be thinking of you.