Monday, March 23, 2009

Astro?

So there was recently a discussion, during a party game, on whether or not "astro" is a word all by itself. And I am not referring to any sports teams. Vote what you think in the comments.

astro-
prefix
Definition:
1. star, the stars, outer space
astrobiology
2. aster of a cell
astrocyte
[< Greek< astron "star" < astēr (see aster)]
Definition found at www.encarta.msn.com

OR

Main Entry: astr-
Variant(s): or astro-
Function: combining form
Etymology: Latin astr-, astro-, from Greek, from astronomy — more at star
: star : heavens : outer space : astronomical
Definition found at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/

THEN:
combining form : a linguistic form that occurs only in compounds or derivatives and can be distinguished descriptively from an affix by its ability to occur as one immediate constituent of a form whose only other immediate constituent is an affix (as cephal- in cephalic) or by its being derived from an independent word (as electro- representing electric in electromagnet or para- representing parachute in paratrooper) or can be distinguished historically from an affix by the fact that it is borrowed from another language in which it is descriptively a word or a combining form (as French mal giving English mal- in malodorous)

I love you Honey. :)

3 comments:

Hayley said...

LOL!

Athough I wasn't there for this "discussion" I can already see in my mind how it went down.

Have to say Jake, saying Astro is a word is like saying "hypo" is a word. =P

Anonymous said...

Astro is the name of the dog from The Jetsons cartoon.
http://www.cybercomm.nl/~ivo/photo_ASTRO3.JPEG

Matt and Amber said...

I'd have to say astro is not a word, besides it comes up in spell check when I type it. There is no such word but I am informed that it could be Castro or Astor.